Wednesday, November 11, 2009

SHRIKES ARRIVE

Another real nice morning up here in western Albany county. Brilliant blue sky and mild. I went for a ride over to Rensselaerville to see if anything was going on.


It didn't take long to find a Northern Shrike. It was in a dense stand of saplings and I figured this would probably be the best picture I was going to get. Shrikes can be less than cooperative when it comes to offering great photo ops. I was in a good spot to park and wait. So that's what I did.


The bird eventually went back to actively hunting and came a lot closer.


The sun was at my back and the incredible blue sky made a nice backdrop. The wind was messing up it's feathers a bit.



This is actually the second shrike that has come my way this year. I was lucky enough to spot one in my own neighborhood on October 31st. Could be a great year to observe them in these parts. On the other hand, as unpredictable as they are, this could be the last one that I see this winter. Time will tell.

1 comment:

Owlman said...

Great shots of an awesome bird!