Tuesday, March 16, 2010

NORTHERN GOSHAWK

It was a sunny, late-winter day, so after work I decided to take a short hike and see if the Northern Goshawk that I had run into a couple of days ago was still there.


I've done a lot of snowshoeing this winter and it is a very enjoyable way to bird. I still use a traditional pair that I bought years ago. They're a pair of modified "bear paws" made by Iverson. Much quieter and buoyant than the new neoprene and aluminum shoes out there.


It didn't take long for the bird to find me. It's obvious at this point that it has set up a territory and plans on sticking around.


Judging by the size and coloration of this bird, I'm guessing that it's a male. The flight feathers are dark (almost black) and the upper coverts are lighter giving the uppersides of the wings a two-toned appearance.


One look at the powerful legs and talons of this bird and you realize that once prey finds it's way into this hawk's grasp - It does not escape!


The clear blue sky today and the late afternoon sun made for some great pictures.


The red eyes put a nice touch on this fierce predator.


Some more vocalizing and then I figured it was time to leave.


This is a Goshawks territory.


As I left the woods and the sun was setting, I had a feeling I'd be back here quite a bit this spring.

No comments: