Saturday, March 14, 2009

PLENTY OF BLUE SKY TODAY

I was out watching the feeders a bit this morning and everything seemed to be normal, when this bird showed up.
Sharp-shinned Hawks are no strangers to "feeding" at bird feeders. This one was very bold and downright brazen. I was standing about 15 feet from it as it intently studied what was going on at the feeders.


After a short while the birds in the yard realized what was going on and flew for cover while sounding the alarm.


The hunter eventually took to the air and circled the yard a few times before heading back into the woods. I'm sure it will be back.


Golden-crowned Kinglets are always a lot of fun to try and get a picture of. The rarely sit still and this one was caught hopping between branches.


I stopped down to the Raven's nest. "Big Daddy" spotted me as I approached the ravine. He didn't seem very happy about me being there and put on quite a display. Hopefully he'll get a little more comfortable with me in the weeks to come. The female was still on the nest and I left rather quickly.


Turkey Vultures have returned to the area. They don't have the curb appeal of most birds, but you have to give them credit for being natures clean-up crew and they have certainly mastered the art of riding thermal updrafts.


On the other end of the spectrum is the Bald Eagle. Stately, impressive, noble and distinguished are just a few of the words that come to mind to describe this bird. This one was spotted in Westerlo today.

No comments: